Originally Posted By: EthanJames
I am preparing a bug out bag. I want to include an ax or a hatchet, but not sure which one. This article Hatchet vs Axe for Survival leads me to think a hatchet is a go, but I am looking for other's opinions. Will a hatchet be enough? I could fit a hatchet without any issues, but an ax would be a stretch. Any recommendation?

As other have noted, it depends on your scenario. It also depends on your environment.

If you expect to carry it on your back for any distance, even a hatched is probably too much weight. (Or rather the weight penalty of the hatchet might be better used for other items.) If on the other hand you plan on using a vehicle, then weight and bulk aren't such a big deal.

It also depends on your environment. For short term survival, or if you are in an area of generally mellow climate, a small fire from downed wood or small dead branches will probably suffice for warmth and ambiance. On the other hand, if you are planning on surviving long term in the winter in interior Alaska or the Canadian woods, then more serious wood gathering tools might be a good idea.

As always, it depends. Look at the situation you expect to face, and the environment you expect to face it in. Think about how you plan to transport this kit. Then put a kit together and go test it out. If you plan to carry it on your back, hump it around for a few miles.

There is never only one right answer.