I watched it live/as it was premiered and immediately commented on that! I must note that since Doug's deal presumably expired with them they don't include the precise components that the original PSP contains. I can attest that some of their later kits use a similar but inferior sparker wheel. Still, I did point out that the sparker included works well in tandem with the supplied tinder. Les was off base with that one, IMO. I also disagree that's better to dump all that crap in your pockets vs that heavy waterproof pouch. Maybe he was just in a grouchy mood! True, all small compasses are not created equal.

I put a Fresnel lens in all my kits. You can use them for fire but I use them because about 1/2 the print on medicines and lots of writing on maps is too small for me to read. It sucks getting old!

The foil in the PSP has saved the day for me. Not for cooking but as a mat to set under the tinder to keep it dry and contained. And once to help jury rig the battery in a vehicle.

All that said, I love the PSP as a base to build on but experience has soured me on tiny kits. I understand there are situations that maybe you can't have a bigger kit but all my PSKs are built around steel containers, or at the minimum a Nalgene and 30 or 40 Aquatabs. In my mind the Ritter PSP does about as well as you could want for the size but I do consider to be too small for me personally to rely on as a primary kit. But as Doug says, if it's not with you it can't save you. So I do keep some stuff on my person, always a lighter, a knife, a light and a sidearm. Beyond that 99.9% of the time I'll have a pack but if it gets lost I'll at least have something.