I just upgraded to Backcountry Navigator XE, which is a completely new and improved version that might be a bit of work in progress Beta-ish). I'll admit that at first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but after quickly going through the help pages I do like it much more.

Waypoints are much easier/clearer to manage. Its default names are date based rather than simply numbers. Same with tracks.

So far I haven't tried the VERY important goto navigation capability. I hope it has a good compass/pointer feature. It does have a big compass display (over the map). I cant imagine it won't do navigation well.

It will be available for both Android (what I'm using) and Apple.

Access is a yearly renewed membership, with three levels of offline (mobile) map access (bronze $15, silver $20, gold $30). At this point I can't tell you how local maps are defined. It will allow me to choose to use memory or the SD card.

It uses "Trips" (folders) in which waypoints and tracks are stored. Trips can be up and downloaded to a cloud environment. Trips can be up and downloaded from the cloud environment.

There is also Bookmark and Overlay features that at this time aren't well explained, so not sure on those at this point.