Yesterday I read an online review for Backcountry Navigator, and their biggest critique was that the smartphone's battery didn't last long enough. To me that is really a matter of how it's used (constant on vs. on only when really needed). If you're looking to create/store routes, a dedicated gps will be much better.

For me, right now, I'm looking for the device/software that is the most convenient for capturing/storing quick waypoints (such as where my truck is parked) for later use, if needed.

When needed, if needed, I primarily want the device/software to easily and clearly point me toward the saved waypoint (my truck).

Backcountry Navigator appears to provide a pretty easy way to turn the gps off, for battery conservation. When the gps is off the compass still points to the destination. Then it's as easy to have it find the current location by turning the gps back on. You just have to remember to keep turning the GPS off. This is done with the Location menu icon at the top of the main screen (looks like a target).

One of the things I really like about using the smartphone, as opposed to my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx, is how easy it is to save and document the current position (using the phone's input capabilities).

Edited by KenK (03/07/20 04:09 PM)