"Bottom line, as the article points out, whether SAR is in crisis mode or not depends on where you are. Some areas such as National Parks are pretty well covered. Many other areas do indeed have a real problem."

True enough, but this is not exactly breaking news. If you are is southern Arizona or near a fairly large community like Flagstaff in the northern part of the state, SAR services are probably readily available. If, on the other hand, you are deep in the Navajo reservation (or similar isolated, large rural areas), say Navajo Mountain or thereabouts. you may have a long wait. But this is not new; it has been the case for decades, if not longer.

A few years ago, I returned to Tucson to deliver a eulogy for one of my best and longest friends, with whom I worked on my first SAR experience in 1958 and on many since then. The memorial service was held at the building dedicated to the unit on USFS grounds on the outskirts of Tucson. I was impressed at how the capabilities of the unit had grown since I left town. To me, this was notable. A member of the unit's first traing class in 1959,I recall that at that time the unit was not very effectual and most of the members had very little experience on the local trails. I was in and out of Tucson for the next ten years, while my friend stayed and labored mightily to build up the capabilities of the group.

Of course a group needs appropriate and useful gear, some of which can be quite specialized, but the basis is qualified, competent, and skilled individuals who can coalesce and work together to reach and assist someone in trouble, at any time of day or night, and in any kind of weather. This is quite a challenge and, realistically, not always possible.

Aksar, the situation you describe in your last post is much clearer and persuasive than the rather vague circumstances in the article you cited. I am sure there are places and times where resources for SAR are marginal, but it really depends upon local initiative and desire to achieve a credible result.

Good people with community support can go a long way.

I could go on, but it is late....