I tend to disregard fads; some music (if it can be called that) is more fad than music. It may make the singer or group a lot of money, but 10 years from now we might be asking, “Who?”, “Never heard of him.”, “Didn’t he die of an infection from all that ink?”...

In music as in many things, some will have passed the test of time, but most will not. There’s a reason many people still listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Prokofiev, Vivaldi ... There’s a reason I have a lot of John Coltrane on my CD shelf along with those other names. There’s a reason that 30+ years later Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) is still on stage doing songs he wrote in the 70’s & 80’s to sell-out crowds.

Speaking of old, the guitar on Dire Straits’ “Brothers in Arms” album cover is a 1937 National Resonator which Knopfler still plays — Mark Knopfler - Telegraph Road (Sevilla 26.07.2015) before switching to a Fender Stratocaster about 5 minutes in. Old and new can work together just fine. The same shiny steel guitar can be seen onstage during Dire Straits’ aLCHEMY Tour in 1983, 32 years earlier.

I could go into the closet and put on clothes that would not look out of place at any time from 1960 ‘til today. I wear a lot of 6 pockets these days, but the clothes I wore in the 80’s would not be out of place.

Speaking of passing the Test of Time: the first time I shot a Glock was my neighbor’s G-17 off the back deck of his home in rural MD circa 1986 iirc. So yeah, the 80’s were great.