Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I was born in 1986, which means I was three when it ended. Therefore, I don't remember the 80s. From what I know, historically, it was a good time in which to live.

To those who have lived it, was the 80s truly the blessed time that I imagine it was?

Jeanette Isabelle

When I graduated from Tech College in '83, youth unemployment was 24% (+50% in my field), mortgage interest rates were 18-21%, my student loan was a mere 12%. It took me 4 months after graduation to finally get a job and months after that before I could buy my first car. Music was great if you overlook the bubble-gum pop and end of disco. Counter culture was rad and hip, yeah dude! Space shuttles were blowing up, Presidents and Popes were getting shot. People were starting to think about Y2K worries. I got my first bank card and then my first debit card (decades before others claimed to have created them). Internet was taking off (I mean the real internet; WWW which is only part of it came later in '93). Dial-up was king and I connected after midnight to get the cheapest rates. Hey it was 300-1200 baud! I was president of a computer club. My Montreal Expos were forced out of the Pennant and World Series by the powers that be... oh wait that was '94. The greatest CFL Grey Cup EVER was played in '89. Climate change question was "are we going into a new ice age"? But hey climate science is 0/100 in their predictions!