Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I think the RECCO detector on a helicopter long line is relatively new.

Yes, the current helicopter system is about 3 yrs old, vs. 36 years for the RECCO reflectors.

The RECCO map shows only 3 North American helibases equipped with this system (DPS, UT; Two Bear Air, MT; North Shore Rescue, BC.) vs. 8 for the Alps.

The RECCO history page says RECCO reflectors were first sold in 1983, the first helicopter-borne detector prototyped in 2014 (21 years later), and the current helicopter-borne detector introduced in 2016. It also shows considerable miniaturization of the handheld detectors over the years.

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Sounds like it has much better detection range. Until now the short range of existing handheld units has limited RECCO use for lost person (non avalanche) searches. This newer detector might make it more useful for wider area searches...

Their video cites a ground detection footprint with 50 m radius, not 100 m (I corrected my prior post), and suggests sweeping at a ground speed of 75 km/h ( 46 mph), producing a 100m wide swath. For wide area search, I wonder what track to track spacing would be recommended - I don't know how well helicopter navigation can control such spacing.

The RECCO detector for the helicopter is much larger than the handheld system - there are photos, videos, etc. on the RECCO site at the page on the RECCO helicopter system.