Originally Posted By: teacher
I keep seeing load outs, edc & bags for one person, with 4 or more knives.
Your budget and weight limit might be better served with a nice jacket instead, or a better light or even plain old food.

On the one hand, I agree with the practical sentiment ... if we're talking about a fistful of tacticool/military prybar type knives.

But when I was solo backpacking, there was always a good folder in my pocket (SAK, Buck, or Schrade) and some kind of spare in my pack.

And now, I look at my own everyday stuff, I note there's quite a collection of tools with knife blades, though the knife itself is rarely used.

There's a slim and lightweight folder in my pocket, a SAK Classic on my keychain, and a multitool on my belt or waistband or in my briefcase.

For any kind of travelling, I would commonly add a larger SAK. Heck, sometimes I'll even add a sharp utility-size kitchen knife with a decent blade protector for efficient food prep; at least I know the dang thing is clean.

All of these items have demonstrated their practical utility over and over. The weight penalty is minimal.

--EDIT-- There is also such a thing as not enough knives. I once witnessed a fellow cutting a piece of rope by pounding it with a hammer on a trailer hitch.

Edited by dougwalkabout (11/08/19 07:05 AM)