Originally Posted By: hikermor
Does this mean that the standard factory post and notch sights on my S&W 357 Mag Highway Patrolman are no longer state of the art, and possibly obsolete??

Hahaha! I don't want to be the bearer of bad news! grin No, it's been 25 years or so since those sights have been SOTA. The advent of tritium sights has probably made them 'obsolete' in the strictest sense. Most of the sidearms that I use for CCW have night sights which I think are a bit of an advantage, and at least one that doesn't have them wears a WML.

Obviously plain old sights do the same thing now they did during the Civil War. IMO it's not so much a case of them being obsolete as a case of having better options. The key word being options as in optional. I have found through experience that it's easier to shoot quickly and accurately with a RDS. In competition I think most guns have had them for a decade and a half.

Lastly I realize that no all gun owners are 'gun nuts' although I would probably fall into that latter category. smirk