Ordered a couple of the Collins GEM SAS Survival Guides by John Wiseman and have scanned all the way through, slowing down for detailed reading esp. in areas I have some expertise in. I think it's quite a "gem" (pun intended). No substitute for training/experience, but it's amazingly broad in coverage. I like the author's style, and it's easy to read.<br><br>Of course, I'm bound to like a book that starts out with:<br><br>"Be prepared - The Boy Scout's motto is the right one." <GRIN><br><br>I have no difficulty reading the print or the illustrations at normal distance (or even arms length with my bifocals off), but anyone who absolutely depends on eyeglasses to walk across the room probably should include a magnifying lens with the GEM edition just in case...<br><br>Because of the breadth of coverage, it cannot go into great depth and still fit into a single volume, but this book earned a place permanently in my "Be Prepared" bag - I like it. Thanks for the tip, folks.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom Ayers<br><br>"Strong Values, strong leaders - Character counts" BSA