Living in SoCal, it is no surprise that my concerns involve wild fires and earthquakes, possibly accompanied by a tsunami. At least I don't bother with hurricanes and tornadoes.

Mrs. Hikermor and i have a well developed evacuation plan (tested twice and implemented once) for wild fires. People, pets, and important papers and photos are the priorities. The rest is covered by insurance.

When a really big tremor hits us, we will most likely shelter in place. I have lots of outdoor gear - stoves, sleeping bags, tents and shelters, etc.,so that should be feasible if the home is damaged or uninhabitable. I have solar capability to recharge phones and lights. over the years, i have gotten completely away from the traditional white gas powered lanterns and stoves which I used in my younger days. A lot of this stuff is stored outside the house.

So what happens when a fire follows a devastating EQ (Think Frisco 1906). That is where improvisation and clear thinking will be necessary, as will be the case in some entirely unanticipated event, of which there could be many.

First aid material is well distributed though the home, vehicles,and back apcks. I have lots of emergency medical experience,but I really shoud refresh my training. In any significant situation, assistance will not be immediately forthcoming.

I have taken the local CERT course, but the administration of the program is basically a joke. It has been described as "catch and release." CERT has never been activated or utilized locally.