I tend to think 'situational' in that what I may have to deal with with will be local and/or short term. Such as storms, electrical outage, accidents, flood, etc. I am a bit generic in what I prepare to face but it generally covers most likely situations I would expect to have happen to me and mine with ways to cope. Also, short-term may be defined several ways but I think it means for me is really short (a day or less) but can stretch into a week or so.

For something long-term I would have to adapt and try to cope as it developed and build from the initial ability / resources I have and likely relocate or 'bug out' as it's said. Each situation would evolve and I would have to do so also. I try to think of versatility when selecting ways to prepare and cope with less then optimal conditions.

As for communications - I got into ham radio and think of it as an additional tool not a solution. If I have a ham radio connection, I can then get that connection to relay a message to the "other end" so who ever I am reaching out to doesn't necessarily have to have a ham radio too. It can also be used to connect with others for help or support. There are also techniques for using amateur radio (ham) to connect to the internet, send texts and email as well as other data while also connecting with voice and code. Heck, there are even smart phone apps that let you connect to a home base and run it from where ever you are. US Emergency Management traditionally supports and works with hams in such situations too.

So, my biggest concern is really more about me being able to rise to the occasion and properly deal with the unexpected. Hopefully I will have the right training/knowledge with the proper tools be able to deal with the situation I find myself in.

Paul -

Edited by pforeman (10/08/19 05:46 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity