Most of my family lives in Texas. My sister Brittany does not prep. However, she is married. Therefore, she at least has someone there in the event communications are down. That is unless my brother in law is away on a business trip.

My youngest sister has limited house preps; no car preps. I'm most concerned about her because she lives alone and her long commute to work is through southeast Dallas county where there are miles of nothing. She does not have the luxury of pulling into a gas station or store if something goes wrong. If communications are down or experience temporary chaos, she would be venerable.

Thank God for our elderly neighbor across the street whom we have known since we moved to that house in 1989. [My youngest sister owns the house we grew up in.] Our neighbor would only be of help if my sister were at home and not on the road.

You mentioned getting a ham radio. That will only work if every person I need to communicate with has a ham radio. If even one person has a ham radio, that's enough of a reason to get one. If one sister only preps a little and the other not at all, what are the odds of either getting a ham radio?

I may talk a lot about Mom and I being ready for a big event and what we do to get prepared; my biggest concern is something I don't talk about much and that is our other family members.

Jeanette Isabelle