Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have an MS in psychology, and I do much interviewing and assessing people for jobs. The Myers-Briggs is useful. It describes more your ways of interacting with the world around you, how you perceive. It is not the only personality "theory". I find that using both the 5 factor model and the Myers-Briggs gives a more complete understanding of a person and how they are likely to interact with other people and fit in to a particular position.

This is within the scope of my profession (Forensic Psychology) andI know of no one in my world (perhaps narrow) who would use the Myers-Briggs... even though it is one of the most used instruments out there (not by psychologists as much as by human resources type folks), the psychometrics and the "ecological significance" (that is... does what it says it measures correlate to real life/ecological data) are too challenged in state-of-the-art research for people like me to use it in "high stakes" situations. No personality inventory is reliable enough to sort people into 16 type categories, which is why people can get different type profiles when they take the inventory on multiple occasions. So it does not make much sense to classify people with four-letter codes. I agree with Montanero that personality trait/factor theory is more accepted nowadays. This looks at (typically) 5 or 7 "dimensions" and where a person falls on the scale in each dimension. We don't label a person with a "type" any more.