The Ammoland article contained a link to the NPS Yellowstone bear safety web page where one learns that since the park waas established, 121 people have perished from drowning, 26 have died by suicide, and 21 have died from burns incurred in hot springs. During that time, eight fatalities were caused by grizzlies.

The park suggests use of bear spray, stating that keeping it handy, along with a bit of practice, is a good idea. They also suggest other "good ideas"

The Ammoland article comes on strong in advocating a good firearm for bear defense. What else would a mag named "Ammoland" advocate?

The article mentions that drownings are rare in the Sahara. I don't know about the Sahara, but in the Sonoran desert, close to Tucson, AZ, drowning was a very close second to falls in fatality incidents furing the time I was active there. Not intuitive, but true.

The author rather vaguely state that if you meet a stranger in the backwoods you should be "wary," which term is undefined. Probably one should be careful around strangers, either in the woods or in town, until the situation clarifies.

When I go out, I try and equip myself for foreseeable emergencies, giving due regard to what ever weight might be involved and the versatility of whatever is contemplated for space in my pack.

In the summer in the desert, that means lots of water; in the winter, more warm clothes or even a sleeping bag. In precipitous terrain, (my favorite!) I will pack a climbing rope and maybe even minimal climbing gear. A firearm rarely makes the cut.

For the record, i am not anti-gun. i own several. When we had to leave our house because of the Thomas fire a couple of years ago, I carried my 357, as did Mrs. hikermor. We were going by vehicle into a very unknown situation, mostly urban in nature. In the wilderness, I would not have been nearly as concerned.

One needs to understand the hazards to be confronted, and acquire the skills and equipment to deal with potential problems, whatever they are.