As I recall from past threads you live in Florida (correct?). In building your kit, I would suggest basing it on a set of limiting factors dictated by the terrain you would have to cover. Florida is pretty flat, and from my (limited) experience fairly well built up in housing developments and roadways. So walking would not be over rough terrain. Given that -

Factor 1 - Weight - Consider what weight you can reasonably carry (or pull in a roller suitcase or push in a 'borrowed' shopping cart). If in a pack, 10-20% of your body weight is pushing it over a long walk. Personally, I can carry more comfortably if the pack weight is on my hips with a padded belt rather than on my shoulders.

Factor 2 - Distance - Over what distance would you expect to have to travel.

Factor 3 - Money - How much are you budgeting to put this together?

Factor 4 - Weather - Florida heat will require a lot of water, but on the other hand in the areas I'm familiar with water is relatively easy to find if you have a filter and a plastic sheet to catch rain.

You need to provide for water, food, shelter, first aid, navigation, foot wear, and tools within the above limits. If you are, in fact, in a built up area you may be able to cut down on what you carry by having the most important urban survival item - cash. In a rural area you may need a tarp shelter, but in a suburb you may be able to buy a night's sleep on somebody's porch or in the lobby of a motel (if they're still open). Admittedly, the value of paper money depends upon the nature of the emergency, and your willingness to approach a homeowner is something you have to weigh in terms of your personal safety, however in a serious extended emergency you have to ask if sleeping under a tarp is any safer than sheltering in a garage.

Edited by brandtb (08/20/19 11:36 PM)