I'm no outdoorsman, but I find it difficult to believe that there are no cases of humans being attacked by wolves, let alone being killed.

I suppose it could depend on your definition of "healthy" - wolves, like most other creatures, don't usually attack humans, but a predator that's starving is likely to go after anything that's edible.

It doesn't sound like this guy was particularly knowledgeable about life in the bush. Chilliwack isn't an isolated, remote, or small settlement - it's an hour from Vancouver, has a major CAF base and a couple of shopping malls. Plus, it sounds like he contributed to the problem - taking a dog along and allowing it to sleep with him for warmth might have confused the wolves, as he would have smelled of dog; this might explain why they would follow him for several days but only make half-hearted attempts to attack him; I don't know.

I agree that a wolf pack, making a determined effort to bring him down, would have been no match for a single human armed with a hatchet; but it doesn't sound like they were making a concerted effort. It sounds like either they were following him because they smelled dog and thought there were more "intruders", or they were looking for an easy target. (Attacking a human would be an unknown to them, so they would likely be more cautious than they would be if attacking a more familiar prey.)

This is all just speculation on my part of course; I could be totally off base; as I said, I'm not an outdoorsman and I know very little about wolves.