It is a shame that the cost of education, even as a basic EMT has gone up so much. When I first took the original 81 hour EMT class in '75, It didn't cost me anything save the price of the book.

A few years later, after I had let my certification lapse, the course was now more than 81 hours. In fact, I had to take it as a 5 credit hour class at the local Junior college.

At any rate, the Basic EMT class has gone from evaluate the symptoms to a cookbook style. If they have this, and this, it is that. However, I would certainly recommend the base class for anyone that willing. You learn some great stuff, and get to spend a couple of shifts in an ER and a couple with an Ambulance/paramedic crew. Great preparation for the unanointed.

I do know that some of the public education classes thru the local vo tech offer among other things the Basic EMT class, for less than a junior college.

I would only add that if anyone is ever being in a situation where help is not immediately available the knowledge of a basic EMT could make the difference between life or death.