Recommendations? Sure! You are correct in going to a store and trying one on. My experience is that they are rather comfortable. i formerly wore out an Elios (Petzl?)and currently wear a Black Diamond half Dome which I have worn for long periods.

The most recent episode was a dig where we were at the base of a steep crumbling cliff, full of rocks ready to fall. we all wore helmets with no events until the last day, when there was a very loud clunk! as a rock hit a helmeted fellow worker (she was wearing my old Elios) who came up with a smile on her face and no cuts or bruises.

Without the helmet protection, I am sure there would have been at least a nasty scalp wound and a precautionary X-ray, tricky because we were in a remote locale.

I really believe in head protection. I have seen quite a few cranial injuries, and they all involved body recoveries.

Usually the cleanup efforts following a disaster (hurricane, EQ, whatever) often cause as many injuries and fatalities as the disaster itself. Good PPE does a lot to counteract that...

Edited by hikermor (03/13/19 08:54 PM)