Originally Posted By: hikermor
Quite a challenge! How is the cell phone reception along your normally traveled routes?

Not bad. There are a couple of dead spots in the canyons (no cell or radio), but overall it's reliable

I would be sure your vehicle is equipped with enough supplies to spend a night or so if you ever get bogged down en route. If there is apace, I would consider having a bicycle along as supplementary transportation.

I should add a blanket, boots, and water bottles to my car kit. Bikes aren't going to work for me. My knees are too shot. It's car or foot power.

How are you fixed for camping gear?

Pretty minimal. I have my mini-kit for day hikes, but everything that's been converted over to emergency supplies is still with my family.

I have come to prefer electric lanterns and lights over the traditional liquid fuel (Coleman) items.

Concur, and already implemented

In high winds, about the best you can do is to drive slower and be alert. It can be rather touchy.

Good advice
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Make darn sure that the vehicle is well maintained. In the case of a wildfire particularly you’ll be really glad when it starts and keeps running.

QFT. I normally carry spare oil, water, bulbs, and basic tools.
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Sounds like you're living through a challenging time. Hang in there.

In addition to the advice above, I would add: get to know your neighbours. Make a point of becoming, in a respectful way, a known quantity, a person who can be trusted, and a genuine asset.

Words written here are cheap, and all of this is easier said than done. But good neighbours beat 9-1-1 by a country mile. And it adds a powerful layer of resilience to your situation.

My 2c.

That could be a little interesting. I haven't even met the ranch owners.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane