Clif bar fan here and consumer of many out dated Clif bars, up to five years beyond evpiry date, as I recall.

The only thing I noticed was that the older bars seemed to be a bit drier than the younger ones. As far as I could tell, nutrition and energy benefits seemed to be unaltered. when bike touring, fully loaded style, my rule of thumb was that a Clif bar was good for twenty miles before another snack was needed..

My stash of quick chow is typically, but not always, stored in an even temperature, away from sunlight. I am pretty sure that storage conditions are very important in food storage.

"Expiration dates" are just guarantees that the product remains unaltered in any parameters of its condition -palatability, taste, nutrition, etc. No food producer does himself any favors by putting a longer, rather than a shorter, expiration date on a product.

I wouldn't worry very much about Clif bars that are beyond their dates. My experience is that it is not dangerous or unhealthy to eat out of date bars.

Edited by hikermor (01/09/19 09:36 PM)