My apologies for not defining the 1-10-1 rule, I thought I had used and defined it in the car in the water thread, sorry, sometimes I loose track. Thank you very much for putting up the link for me.

The 1-10-1 rule was put forth as a teaching aid, something for people not particularly interested in learning the effects of cold water on humans, that would be easy to remember, perhaps eliciting action on their part, like wearing their PFD. It was never intended as a defining statement, of the effects of cold water immersion. As you stated, colder = less time, as dose what your wearing, are you wearing a PFD, did you asperate water with the reflexive gasp/hyperventilation of cold shock, or develop an arrhythmia and die. Lots of variables, but cold shock, progressive inability to help yourself (cold incapacitation), and in below 70 degree water, eventual hypothermia, is the progression for somebody stuck in the water, but they usually drown in either the cold shock phase or when they can no longer keep their airway above water/spray/waves, without a PFD, they die from asperation of water, not living long enough to die from hypothermia.

Cold Water Boot Camp (www.coldwaterbootcamp.com)

Beyond Cold Water Boot Camp (www.beyondcoldwaterbootcamp.com) for first responders or educators.

ETA: and just as we could all find ourselves as victims, we might also find ourselves as "first responders", and the knowledge of how to properly manage a cold water immersion/hypothermic patient could be lifesaving (see circum-rescue collapse).

Regards, Jim