As for "communication" look into the Hurricane, wildfire, earthquake and other disasters there have been and their impact - one of the first things to go in any major event is telephone/internet at the local level and is often the last to come back.

Think about 'general' information and where you can get it when the internet is unavailable and cell service is too. The good old standby battery operated radio will still be working. The Conelrad or Civil Defense network was an example of general communication years back and today it is the more general "Emergency Alert System" (google it and check the FEMA website for more).

Point being, having something that will pick up NOAA weather information, local radio stations - all of which will carry EAS bulletins - will give you access to very valuable information that will help you survive and know what's going on.

I saw this 'communications' thing as a serious gap in my planning so I got a ham license and now can use those ham tools along with GMRS FRS and even CB radios to not only listen but to talk back when needed. Yes, I've also got the battery run AM/FM radio too.

Paul -