Lightning is a great way to collect a fire — it’s a gift from Zeus, don’t let it go out. Later, some cave dweller started a fire - probably by accident - and realized he could start a fire at will by striking a couple rocks together, as long as they were the right rocks. So did fire-by-friction come before or after sparks from rocks? Does it matter and who besides an archaeologist would care... (btw, of the above, I made up everything starting with “Zeus”.

I’m not a cave dweller nor a minimalist,

Matches are a great method for making a fire. I used strike-anywhere matches as a kid when the woodstove at home needed lighting. One match and you have a fire. Paper book matches would have sufficed, but I really liked wood strike anywhere matches. These days the chemistry has changed and they’re Strike ALMOST anywhere matches, so they too need back-ups. ...

Regarding back-ups:
At which temperatures (cold) do Bic/butane lighters typically fail?
At which temperatures (cold) do Zippo/naphtha lighters typically fail?

Considering that cold & wet have a detrimental effect on one’s ability to light fires, why carry a primary method of making a fire that is easy/convenient, and a back-up that is in a word, difficult.

Why would anyone consider friction to be a back-up to a lighter? Seriously.