I am taking a look at the map of the fires on Google, this morning. Tuesday. I look at it each morning and night. It is difficult to say, but the fire perimeter does not seem to have moved. That conflicts with 'reality' because the news says that the fire (Wolsey fire) is only 30% contained. It would be very helpful if Google showed its map with two-colors. A blue zone that marks the perimeter of the fire yesterday, and a red zone that marks todays perimeter.

I can say that the Santa Ana winds here in So Cal are the strongest that I have ever seen them. We live in the mountains, so we see the winds directly. The wind gusts are very powerful, certainly as high as 40 mph, and I would guess that some gusts may be up to 50 mph. That is certainly making the conditions for fire fighting very difficult in So. California.

Authorities are investigating whether these fires started from power lines that were swaying in the winds, and creating sparks. That is surprising. It has certainly happened in the past, but our utility companies are getting smarter. They now shut down power to regions where there are strong winds. But maybe their info is not completely accurate.

Edited by Pete (11/13/18 04:54 PM)