Originally Posted By: Montanero
Teslin, this is where the community works together and helps those who can't take care of themselves. This is something I do every year and every storm (hurricane, ice, snow, tornadoes). Whether it is a neighborhood, a church, a Scout troop; someone knows these people and should help them. These people should be provided information on where they can reach out to when in need of assistance.

We check on these people and help with information, education and resources. We ensure they have what they need or a place to go if it becomes necessary. They are still responsible for themselves, but they have help when it is needed. We take it upon ourselves to take on the responsibility and make sure it happens. And we do work with shelters who take care of the homeless. There are many reasons for someone to fall through the cracks and not get help, but no excuses for it.

There is never a GOOD reason for someone to not get to safety or the basic necessities.

Thanks for the much better summation of a very complex issue - which arises in just about every disaster. Unfortunately not every one gets the help they need - especially those whom I mentioned in my last post and that was the point I was trying (not so clearly) to make.

John Lubbock