Reading through this article, reminds me that over the years (and as recently as yesterday) seeing these iconic, bright yellow SAR planes in our local skies is almost something we take for granted here and I don't think that there are many outdoor oriented people who would not instantly recognize the plane - and it's purpose.

Replacing the planes, led to a large debate on what color the new SAR planes should be.

I think the main point of the article, which ties into what I wrote above is:

"This colour, which provides a higher level of visibility and recognition in the ground and the air, is also widely known by Canadians — especially those who might find themselves in a situation requiring our aid.

Canada’s military has reversed its plan to abandon the familiar yellow paint scheme for the country’s new search-and-rescue planes after debate within the ranks over the aircraft’s need to be visible on such missions.

The new fleet of 16 Airbus C-295W planes will replace the main Royal Canadian Air Force search-and-rescue fleet of Buffalo aircraft as well as the Hercules transport planes which are also used at times in a search-and-rescue role. Postmedia reported last year that RCAF leadership had requested the new planes be painted tactical grey, asking for a change to the original contract which had stipulated the familiar yellow colour scheme, because they wanted the aircraft to be available for other missions, including combat.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canadian-m...familiar-yellow

Anyone else live in a country or locale that has a specific SAR plane color?

John Lubbock