Since it’s French it must be better wink The French Press is simply a plunger that pushes the grounds to the bottom of the carafe so you can pour off the coffee to drink. I used one for a while; besides the press allowing too many fine particles into my cup, it was a pain to clean. Unless you use a uniform coarse grind which the press can trap, you end up with a rather gritty cup from all the fine particles that get through a typical grinder. Then again, the French Press seems to be a popular way to make coffee, so I won’t say it’s bad. I’m probably misinformed and using it all wrong.

OTOH, there are folks who don’t like paper filter because they trap and remove coffee oils, which is mentioned in one of the YouTube video’s. That guy recommends a metal screen basket rather than a paper filter so the oils pass through. I have a pretty good metal replacement for #4 filters here someplace and I found it so much more convenient to simply toss a paper filter than to clean and dry a metal screen.

I didn’t stumble on the pour-over method to get a better cup, I did it to avoid having to buy a new coffee maker and liked it. Later I found out that many coffee aficionado’ prefer the pour-over technique. For me it’s primarily an expedient.