to add to CJK's comments on coolers, and for the members not familiar with the 2004 Florida storm season... we had 3 storms in a month's period or so... the first for me was a 9 day power outage, and the others 3 or 4 day events...at the time I had a 5 day rated cooler, an older Igloo, and a small cooler I used for ice at school for science labs...and no generator

I pre chilled the 5 day with a couple of frozen gallon jugs about the 35mph point, and transferred all the frozen solid meat immediately upon first loss of power... with a couple more frozen jugs (total of 4)....I did not open this chest until the afternoon of day 5 ...there was still partially frozen water, but the edges of the meat showed thawing signs... I cooked perishables first out of the "less efficient" cooler... a couple of gallons of cold tea, some lunch meat and hot dogs with IIRC 3 frozen gallon jugs... by the 6th day, we had resumed school, and I had access to one of the ice machines, and brought about 20# of ice daily to augment the coolers....after the first storm I purchased a 7 day cooler.... I had a generator for the 2005 season

for 2017 and Irma I forgot to get some bagged ice (mistake)but again loaded up the 7 day with frozen jugs, but by that time I had retired, was dining out for all meals, and did not store any frozen meat, only a few perishables... I had power by the night of the 3rd day, so only a couple of meals of hot dogs, a couple of egg and cheese sandwiches, and a can or two of chunky soup... I was supplying power to two neighbors so ran my refrigerator only for a couple of hours every six up until about 2300, and as a courtesy to the neighbors shut it off....two hours would put a skim of ice on the gallon jugs, and they really needed a little more time to completely freeze... a little planning and some bagged and solid ice worked for me, even without the high tech roto molded coolers