I think we discussed this in another thread, but:

Paper matches do seem to age well. I have even gotten some wet, left them to dry out, and they still worked well. If you use three or four together, you have a real fire lighter. When older folks clear out their houses, they will often find a box of paper matches with advertising or wedding stuff inscribed -- how times have changed!

Modern wooden matches (strike anywhere and safety types) seem to degrade and disintegrate upon any contact with moisture.

But then again, maybe not all: some Web commenters say that UCO strike-anywhere matches are still very good. I seem to recall that UCO lifeboat matches were quite good, so maybe there's hope.

Curiously, wooden matches are a hot topic of debate for pipe and cigar aficionados, who view butane lighters as nothing short of barbarians at the gate.

Still, for me, you'll find Bic's in my pocket and scattered through my gear. And yes, they will work in freezing conditions -- just warm them in your hand for half a minute and shake vigorously. For long term storage, leave them sealed in original packages, as the flint will slowly swell when exposed to atmospheric moisture.