when it comes to friends and family im the only one who believes in being prepared and learning survival skills.

while discussing it with a friend recently they asked me why, i told them because i like the idea of knowing how to live off the land if it became necessary.

because of my naturally curious nature ive always been interested in learning about primitive skills, just as others have done for thousands of years.

so i find "survival skills" to be facinating and believe more should learn them and pass them on, again the being prepared mindset.

i admit im very opinionated and i like to talk alot in general, so to baffle me isnt easy.
but then they said something that i didnt have a response for at the time.

"what happens when they drop the bombs in new york?
which in this day and age is possible.
you would either be killed outright from the blast or so hurt and or sick you`d wish you were dead and probably kill yourself as soon as your able.
no amount of stored food and water or the other survival gear you collected would save you."

i honestly didnt have anything to say against that, but for a minute it did make me second guess everything ive been doing very strongly.

i thought my friend had a point, and i will be living in NY probably for quite awhile due to personal obligations, and we all know NY is a big target.

and its not that im so well skilled (hardly) or well stocked (barely) that i expect to survive, but for some strange reason i honestly feel if TSHTF odds are i probably would be alive afterwards i cant honestly explain why.
you know the universe has a STRANGE sense of humor and it might let me live just to prove it.
so now my answer to her was \ is that its also some peace of mind knowing that my being prepared may help me (or others) in the future if needed, because im taking some sort of control over doing things instead of just going with the flow like everyone else.

so my question to everyone is the same as the title "why do we do this?"

what really ARE the odds we would survive a nuke or chemical blast and be well enough to use our skills to survive well enough in a new world?

even if its not about a threat like that, then why do you do it?
what do you get out of it personally?