I am happy to be out of contact when in the hills - that is a major attraction of the outdoors life, although now I habitually carry a cellphone/camera with lots of useful functions.

Certainly a PLB has its uses and it can save lives, time, and resources in wilderness SAR, but, day in and day out, it seems to me that a cellphone does the same. Most people carry one and are within range. I wonder if there are any studies comparing SAR operations, pre and post cellphone era?

PLBs are not foolproof. Look at the instances of people blindly following PLB directions and winding up in isolated, bizarre situations. Nothing beats awareness and attention to your surroundings. Don't blindly trust technology!!

Getting beyond snazzy electronics, which do require batteries which can deplete, simple basic tools can do a lot - signal mirrors, maps, whistles - the classic "ten essentials" modified, if necessary for circumstances.

Most of us have stepped off the trail to perform body functions (there is tangible evidence that a few have not) and found our way back. If, for whatever reason, that is a challenge for you, never hike alone.

The Largay situation is incredibly sad, but her situation is an outlier. She should not have been out alone - its that simple.