Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

[quote=hikermor] I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability.
This is really the crux of the issue. How much of this sort of capability do we need in any one area? Too little, and you won't have it when you really need it. Too much, and you start using it in questionable cases. I can easily see that Ventura County could justify having a basic helo. But do they really need their own winch capability that bad? Or could they call on nearby USCG or AF assets when they really need it? I'm asking the question. I don't know the answer.

Good question. We have lately been having problems with big fires and mudslides (Montecito) and I believe there were some hoist ops at Montecito. Of course,this is earthquake country, and when the Big One arrives, doubtless we will be hoisting and dropping in aplenty. and there is a big ocean at our doorstep, and hoisting comes in handy there,as well.

It seems to me that hoisting helos are more generally in use than was the case thirty or so years ago. I just need to keep up with the times.