Originally Posted By: Russ

Seems that 20º per side for a Henckels, Wusthof, et al is correct, thinner and you risk dealing with a rolled edge. Japanese blade on the other hand are good for 15º and less, but be gentle.

Yes, that's right in my experience. Less than 20º for consumer German blades and the steel rolls too far, dulling the knife more quickly. I usually go for the slightly higher 22º range for the same reason, and polish an extra bevel for smooth cutting. But then, a lot of the knives I see don't get any maintenance except steeling for a year or more, at which time they come back to me.

The additional 2-ishº isn't really necessary for new knives, but knives get "fatter" as they wear over time, and this technique thins them a little, restoring them quite well.

And I agree that the harder steel in the thin Japanese blades is more vulnerable to chipping and cracking with heavy-handed use. That's the trade-off, at least with the stainless steel blades I've come across. I can't speak about the Damascus-style carbon blades.

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/12/18 07:02 PM)