Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm baffled by the CI reviews of knives. I've had quite a few of the Victorinox Fibrox knives and sharpened perhaps a hundred of them. They will get the job done but edge retention is very poor, at least by the standards of a chef. Good for the price I suppose but a review shouldn't merely identify the cheapest blade that will turn one chunk of food into two chunks! Even an entry level Japanese gyuto like the Tojiro DP absolutely smokes the Vics. You could use the Tojiro for a couple weeks in a restaurant setting without much more than a few licks on a ceramic hone; with the Vic you'd be lucky to have a serviceable edge after a few days. For the home cook that's not as big an issue but there's no comparison between the build quality or fit and finish, either.

Hi,
Overheating knives on a beltsander could easily explain knives going dull after a few days (ignoring plate contacts).
Even a $1 knife will last more than a few days.
Most chefs use a "chef steel" or "butchers steel" to keep the blades cutting for months and months.
This is what you see for sale at restaurant supply one ~$5 knife steeled once a day lasts this professional chef 6 months

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (08/02/18 03:21 AM)