Originally Posted By: Russ
Belt sander? Isn’t that a little much for a knife post heat treat? Does that have no effect on temper? After years of neglect, I used an old Tri-hone (oil) and brought it back to a fine edge in about 15 minutes. I really don’t think a belt sander is necessary, but that’s just an opinion.

As Phaedrus indicated, it's all about the operator. Light, quick passes are fine so long as the blade never gets uncomfortably warm to the touch. A nearly worn out belt can get you in trouble in that regard. I practiced a lot on beater blades before I was comfortable working on good ones.

A belt sander is not necessary for domestic kitchens. Nor are spendy knives, for that matter. Generally, the best blade for the job is a well-maintained blade. I've been on a quest for years to teach people how to do basic hand grinding and steeling (realignment) so they can get decent performance from the knives they already have.

Since I repair and recondition hundreds of knives a year, a belt sander is just about mandatory. Some of those are literally rounded off, and it takes forever by hand. I still hand-finish good quality blades, though; I haven't got around to buying a buffing wheel.