So I’ve been looking for something regarding what exactly FC61 steel was and all I can find is speculation. Review Brief: Miyabi Kaizen II Chef's knife - Cooking Discussions / Cookware - Hungry Onion
Quote:
...Kaizen II has a symmetrical handle which is thicker too. The core steel has been changed from VG-10 to FC61. It is said to be tougher than VG-10. Exactly what is FC61? Many speculate it to be AEB-L. It is definitely not VG-10. ...

So then I looked at AEB-L and found a good description at: http://devinthomas.com/faq.html
The line in the description under “What is "AEB-L" steel?”, that makes one think FC61 may be AEB-L is:
Quote:
...AEB-L naturally forms what is called the K2 carbide, the harder of the two chromium carbides, compared to the K1 carbide, which is formed in steels such as 440C. The K2 carbide is about 79 on the Rockwell C scale, compared to 72 for the K1 carbide. Through proper heat treatment, AEB-L has fine, evenly distributed K2 carbides. ...

Once my Chef knife requirement was satiated by sharpening a knife already in my knife block, I went to the smaller end and ordered a paring knife in FC61. I hope the speculation on FC61 being AEB-L is correct. A paring knife that will hold a fine edge would be welcome.