Originally Posted By: ireckon
I bet his lighter was a Bic.

Agreed. Second the motion.

I carry some essentials on my body, including a key ring which has a small multitool (PS4), a peanut lighter, a cash capsule, a small prybar, a AAA light, as well as house and car keys. I usually sleep with this ring in my PJs.

When I am out int he woods, my pack will have water (quantity variable depending on the environment, but at least a liter, usually two), lunch and snacks good for 24 hours, maybe a mini stove and cup plus fuel and lighter, a light jacket, a sweater, FAK, headlamp, plus mission/job relevant gear which can vary all over the place (oh, yest, I almost forgot - TP!!)

Maybe this comes from SAR experience, but you simply don't lose your pack. Our bags were generally packed, ready to go right away, and adjusted seasonally for conditions. One of my colleagues famously remarked that in the summer (Tucson, AZ) our packs were essentially giant water bottles! Your pack is not a burden; its contents are the materials that keep you and those for whom you are responsible, alive and healthy. You simply don't lose it.