Originally Posted By: hikermor
"I also has a Prius that can do 12 volts for a LONG LONG time."

Mrs.Hikermor drives a Prius, very capably I might add. That vehicle will be with us, either staying or leaving, in a disaster. I am sure I can get 12 volts from it for a long time, what what about 120 AC? Any simple solutions for the electronically challenged?

For starters, what kind of solar array would keep the Prius main battery charged and how might one hook it up?

AC out is easy, as long as amperage is low- just plug an inverter into the light plug. It is "possible" to hook up more directly, but not a great idea.

Getting energy back IN to a prius is ugly.
Doing it directly is NOT worth the hassle. Only exception is the plug in hybrid. It would void the warranty.

Just add more gasoline....

Now.... keeping solar separate, or making the assumption that you are the 1% that has a plugin car- Prius (4.4 kwh) plugin, Leaf (24 kwh), Tesla (60 -100 Kwh)...
That would be up to 100kWh battery (in technical terms, a crapload of electricity- 100,000....wait 1000x100, SIX zero 1,000,000 WATTS)
that's like a hairdryer for 100 HOURS
You would need 20kW of panels to charge it full in one day.

That is assuming that you can do a direct charge- panels to inverter to car battery.... If you are trying to keep the energy outside of your car, then use your house batteries to charge your car, jsut forget it- unless you are Elon Musk, you cannot afford that many panels or batteries. Heck, you probably do not have enough real estate to set up that many panels......

Edited by LCranston (07/26/18 07:52 PM)
Edit Reason: add detail