Fascinating account, but color me skeptical. From the story itself, it is clear that his lighter was more important in his survival than his knife. And what would have kept this from happening at all would have been a topo map.

I am very familiar with the Santa Catalina Mountains, living in Tucson and Arizona from 1956 - 1985. The Cats are a wonderful retreat from the desert heat and usually very pleasant during the day in the fall. I have often hiked there, often solo, sleeping around an impromptu fire as described in the story,and I have participated in numerous SAR operations (probably over 100), some very short and some very long, requiring many overnight bivys.

His concern about bears was misdirected and overblown. To my knowledge, there been exactly one fatal bear encounter in the Catalinas since the 1950s, in contrast to many from falls and exposure (60 plus??). Black bears are usually no problem unless you are considered a food source. The standard advice for black bears, i believe, is to make yourself look big and make some noise. His spear might have helped in that effort.

If someone had known of his plans and notified Pima County SO, Southern Arizona Rescue Association would have been on the case, a search would have been mounted that evening, and he would have been located before dawn, especially with a going fire - that makes it very easy for searchers. I remember one where as we gathered to begin the operation, someone noticed a fire at a distance - let's check out that fire - problem solved - all safely tucked in bed that night.

As for the Buck 110? It is a very fine knife (I have one myself) and it might have been critical in an ursine encounter. His sharp stick would merely irritate Mr. Bear - it would not keep a motivated bear away.

Good story, wrong conclusion. Tell someone of your plans, maybe leave a note in your car.