GPS systems have improved a lot over the years. My first was a Garmin GPS V (2001’ish) and I was happy with its accuracy. Let it sit in one place to average its location and it could get down to about 12’ given enough time. Then I bought a Garmin Geko 301, non-mapping but it has a magnetic compass and barometric altimeter which is very useful in conjunction with a topo map.

Next up was a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, barometric altimeter and electronic compass. Depending on how much you wanted to spend, it could have better maps (road or topo). The electronic compass is power hungry though so it stays turned off.

Now I have a Garmin Oregon 600 which has a high-sensitivity GPS receiver, a better processor to lock up faster and a 3-axis compass with accelerometer and barometric altimeter sensors. The 3” color touch screen display is slightly larger than the 60CSx display and a new user interface menu went with the touch screen. That said, the GPSMAP 60CSx still puts me in the same location. I still leave the electronic compass turned off.

The biggest issue I hear is battery life and having no power when needed most.
1. Carry spare batteries,
2. Don’t leave it on all the time. Put the receiver in demo mode or just turn it off if it isn’t needed for constant use.
3. Keep the electronic compass turned off and carry a real magnetic compass instead.
I carry spare batteries (AA) and other gear is also AA so carrying spares is a no brainer.

FWIW, $.02