Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I knew on guy who carried a full 1 qt Naglene bottle...in school.

I maybe missing your point, and I am a confessed chronic over-packer, but that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Heck, your guy could be a germaphobe, for whom 32 oz is barely enough for a perfect day.

Different bottle options are out there that could save weight, but Nalgenes are pretty bomb-proof and long-lasting. I might even suggest a metal bottle for potential boiling....

Question: If I went hiking with less than a quart would I be foolish? Consider that it's been 100F and above around here this month. I carried three 32oz bottles on my adventure to the zoo with my kids yesterday. There are sinks and water fountains all over the place there, just like in other public spaces like schools. That doesn't mean I want to keep stopping to refill.

My teenager certainly doesn't have time in his school day for that. He's commuting to Summer school, on the other side of the city, on his bike. It's almost 10 miles each way. Here's a few things we've considered:

*It's a long hot ride and there's no A/C at school. I want him carrying water with him on his commute as well as in class. 32 ozs is a reasonable amount for a full day. In the event that he forgets or can't to refill it during the day or before he heads home, he should be well hydrated with that amount.

*Ever seen an "Out of Order" sign on a water fountain or bathroom? Ever had the water shut-off thanks to an unexpected water main break?

*What if there's a fire alarm, bomb threat, lock-down, etc... and refilling isn't an option?

*What if he has some sort of an accident on the way to or from school and gets stuck in a ditch or raine for a while?

*What if he comes upon someone who's suffering from dehydration or heat related illness?

Water is just such a basic necessity that I think 32 is a good amount for a regular work or school day. He can use that 1 quart of water to drink, soak a bandana to wrap around his neck, wash wounds, re-hydrate a friend, etc....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA