As I recall, there is a country (Norway maybe?) that is almost in a panic because the citizens have almost stopped using cash - and apparently this causes great concern about a country that produces no currency - are at least currency that is not used.

I just came back from Germany (work) and the vast majority of my spending is via my business credit card (always using the security PIN), but there are many restaurants that are cash only, and at least at one time I went to a large electronics store in Frankfurt and they only took a German debit card or cash - they would not accept a credit card ... so I didn't buy from them (not a political statement - just didn't want to use up my cash).

I'll also mention that the percentage expectations for tips are MUCH less in Germany - closer to 10% or less than the typical 20% in the US. Again, no political comments here - just facts.

Great people. Very sad what happened to their cities many years ago (I kept thinking about the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire"). They hide it well - it looks older than it really is. (sorry for the drifting from topic)