I got moved around by my job a lot, coast to coast. (Some of my colleagues got moved overseas, so at least I got to stay domestic.) I was always just by myself, a stranger in a new town. It was hard to develop ties with the community (work, neighbors, etc.) when everyone knew you'd be gone soon. So I realized I needed knowledge and technology, because I couldn't count on anyone but myself. So I made plans for situations like: what if I got so sick that I couldn't move? (Actually had to execute that plan a few times.) People who live with at last one other person probably don't think about the importance of having a supply of water, medicine, and sanitary stuff right next to them in bed.

The skillsets for survival weren't instilled from other parts of my life. Many people got into prepping as an extension of camping. But there is not much that intersects with any of my skills, professional or otherwise -- other than actually experiencing emergencies such as hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, medical stuff, etc. People who have those skills tend to come from a different world, a different culture. So my horizon has been broadened as a consequence, and I'm better for it.

Also, moving around means one gets chances to learn about new problems. Crime in the cities, having access to nothing out in a two-horse town, tornados in the Midwest/South, freezing cold in the Upper Midwest, fires/earthquake on the West Coast, hurricanes on the Gulf, etc.