Remember what the asteroid did to the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. There is no reason to think there isn't another rock out there with our number on it. That would truly begin a global catastrophe that could lead to our extinction as a species, and the next phase of evolution.

We are tracking close by celestial objects, and we do have the means to divert anything which poses a danger, so that might not be a real problem...,

But that won't stop earthquakes, and I have a ringside seat on the Ring of Fire in southern California, so I try to prep for that. No mirrors ontheceiling, stash water and essentials where they are likely to be retrievable (good tips on this website), and keep alert. I plan to camp out on my property, retrieve material from within my home, and help others, starting with Mrs. Hikermor, if I can.

Historically, fires follow major quakes, as gas lines are ignited and power lines fall. There is a big parking lot across the street and a grassy park around the corner. In a major event, we will probably have to improvise, because emergencies are emergencies because they present the unanticipated.

We do not exist in a vacuum, and help will eventually arrive, by sea and air, if not by land (the roads will probably be a mess, which is why leaving will probably not be an option).

Of course, I might be an immediate casualty, so survivors are welcome to my stash. Please eat the ice cream before it melts.