Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
How are you going to get into your home to reach the spare key cabinet if you lose your house key?

I have pushbutton digital locks. The batteries in those things last for years and years. And even if a battery dies without warning (they have indicators for low battery), all the batteries in all the locks on different doors aren't going to go bad at the exact same time.

I wish I had bought digital locks a long time before I actually did. They are great. But you have to get good ones. When you enter the combination on a good one, that allows a normal mechanical deadbolt to be operated. One the cheap ones, you enter the combo and a little cheap battery powered motor turns little cheap plastic gears, to draw the little cheap deadbolt out of the little cheap striker plate for you. These cheapies are not secure at all. You can pay a ton of money for some of them that allow you to unlock them remotely. Not for me. The last thing I want is some fool screaming into my window, "Alexa, unlock the front door" and being successful at it.