Old matches are a quirky lot. Incantations and/or cursing are part of the ritual.

"Strike anywhere" are the first to turn into "strike all you want, you will not get flame."

Wooden safety matches are slightly more robust. If you dry them out well, you may have a chance. (Actually, if you tuck a safety match striker strip with your strike-anywhere gear, your chances of flame increase greatly. Being wise, of course, you will fold the striker strip in on itself, and maybe wrap it in something.)

But the unlikely winner in the longevity contest is the paper matchbook. I kid you not. I have been consistently amazed at their toughness. I have have seen them fully immersed, dried out, and functional. They come out of the bottom of toolboxes from half a century ago, and it you dry them out, they light right up. And if you cut right down through the paper base, and use four at a time, you actually have a respectable fire-lighting match.

Now, I confess there is a Bic mini in my pocket at all times, and it consistently gives me flame on demand.

But I regularly snag paper matches for free -- from weddings 40+ years ago, when everybody smoked their brains out, and where embossed matchbooks were considered high-toned bling.