I noticed that as well.

I usually strip the MRE down to the entree and plan for three entrees per day for food (they pack very flat along the back of my daypack, easily getting 9 in a 20 liter pack without much impact on internal storage volume), supplemented by clif bars when on the go. So it was nice to be able to go online and buy just what I want. Locally they have the whole MRE for $5 (living near a military base) which isn't bad, I just pick and choose then strip those down.

____

I just received some LRP freeze dried entrees today. Basically the same as mountain house pro pak, but packs MUCH friendlier due to the cubed shape as Phaedrus indicated -- why they don't do that for the civilian versions I have no idea.

At $10 each they're pretty steep but when you run the numbers it's not too bad -- they're just over half the weight of an MRE entree, but usually double the calories -- so you're looking at 4.5 ounces versus 16 ounces for roughly similar calories. So cost wise you'd have to compare it to buying two MRE entrees which tend to go for $3-4 these days, so it would be $10 versus $6-8 which is (a little) more reasonable.

Of course, if your area is light on water and you have to schlep it around anyway, so it may not be worth it to you, and it takes more time to constitute, so YMMV. I'm in the Southeast, water is pretty easy to find, and my plan is keep one per day and use them in the evening when I've settled in for the night, opting for more ready to eat food during the day. The end result should be more calories per day and less overall weight.

I don't go on trips as often as I'd like to, so I've decided to build up my stock a little at a time. Will definitely stock up on the MRE entrees again when they become more available again