Good question and a reasonable request,

On first aid, someone applying for SAR had first to possess an Advanced First Aid certification or better. We had RNs and MDs in the group as well.

Communication was important. Learn the 10 code and the specific SAR variations and their importance. There is a big difference between 310-OK, 310-I, and 310-F. On my very first SAR, with no training whatsoever, I was approached by a stranger as we approached the base camp, who inquired about the victims' (three Boy Scouts) chances. I responded honestly (and unfortunately accurately) saying that they were probably dead. Duh-oh!

We discussed personal equipment and clothing. One should show up ready to operate productively for at least 48 hours. In southern Arizona, this means anything from deep snow and ice in the winter at high elevations to sizzling heat in the desert summers. We also did cave rescues which offered huge challenges. Through time, we also developed expertise in swift water rescue. During the time I was active, drowning was the #2 cause of death, just behind falling.

We did discuss navigation, especially methods to convey your position accurately over the radio. this was long before general use of the UTM grid, so that was a lot of fun. We finally generated our own topo map of our principal operation area, the Santa Catalina Mountains, with our own grid superimposed on the basic USGS map.

Night operations were covered, since it was a rare operation that did not involve some night work. A carbide lamp was our preferred and recommended light source

People came into SAR with a wide variety of background and experience - some already experienced cavers, some were interested in rock climbing, some were just starting out and beginning to acquire basic outdoor skills. We did cover some of the basic technical skills - knot tying and an introduction to rigging. Successful trainees developed from there, if that was their inclination.

After completing the initial course, members were in trainee status for at least a year and were assigned with experienced members on operations.

I am talking about SAR as it developed in the late 1950s and 60s. There was basically no such thing as a SAR manual generally available. Our group was initially formed by Civil Defense volunteers who saw that there was a need for SAR in our area. Unfortunately, none of them has appreciable outdoor skills. I and my two companions were members of the first training class, which was an interesting experience.

The point I would make is that the organization, as well as the individual members, grew and learned over the years. We learned, for instance, on a cave operation, it is incredibly useful to have a slender, technically adept female caver who can fit where the big guys can't. How about an RN, studying for her MD, who is a pretty decent technical climber. Or the professional engineer who sets up the z-system, teaching others some of the nuances.

Today, the outfit is light years away from the early days, vastly more proficient and competent, to the great benefit of those who encounter trouble in southern Arizona. This is what progress looks like....